There is nothing more awesome than combining a couple of flavors and really wowing your guests at the dinner table. Sweet and sour, tender yet crispy, chili and chocolate, salty sweet popcorn – we all love a good mix up when it comes to flavors, and that is why this sweet tea smoked brisket recipe will be a winner at any dinner party.
If you are looking for a fresh, new recipe to impress your guests this weekend that, of course, is a doddle to put together, then you cannot be without this sweet tea smoked brisket. The combination of the sticky and sweet brisket rub with the tea infusion is a mix that you will regret not having tried out sooner.
Apron at the ready? Great! Let’s get those hands dirty as coming up is a list of the ingredients and all-important directions so that you can make a smoked brisket with a sweet tea infusion that will raise the roof this weekend.
- 1 packed cup of brown sugar
- Ground paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt to make up 1 cup
- 1 generous cut of brisket (about 13 lb is great)
- Olive oil as required
- Sweet tea
- Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (the low temperature is key for the flavors to infuse into the cut of brisket).
- Transfer your brisket to a cutting board and trim any excess fat away from the brisket.
- To make the rub, combine the brown sugar, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and kosher salt in a mixing bowl.
- Get your hands dirty! Apply olive oil to the entire brisket, being sure to cover the whole brisket.
- Pat the rub onto the brisket laying it on as thick as possible.
- Place the brisket into the preheated smoker and smoke until a crisp, golden brown shell has formed on the brisket – (roughly two to three hours).
- Once the brisket has a crispy shell, remove it from the smoker and submerge it into a large ovenproof dish full of sweet tea and braise the two of them together in the oven for another 3-4 hours until tender.
- Once braised, leave the dish to cool for about 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure you hold on to any juices (you may want to reduce these for a thicker sauce) remaining in the ovenproof dish and pour them into a gravy boat once the 15 to 20 minutes have passed.
- Cut your brisket into uniform slices with a carving knife to serve and drizzle the leftover juices onto the meat to moisten it further and add an extra kick of flavor.
Serve It In Style
What I love the most about this recipe is its simplicity. The rub can be thrown together in a matter of minutes and once the brisket is in the smoker, it will take care of itself. The first time I tried this recipe it was a bit daunting to immerse the brisket in sweet tea, as I really wasn’t sure how it would turn out. But braising it all together gives the cut of brisket the most awesome taste sensation that cannot be beaten.
If you are cooking this sweet tea infused smoked brisket for the first time, then you may be a little anxious about what you could serve it with as, of course, even the best barbecue meat will not be the same without some tasty staples on the side. Take a look at the following list of sides that will make an amazing companion to your brisket.
- Chunky cut homemade fries with garlicky slaw and grilled corn on the cob. – All of the family favorites that not even the little ones will be able to resist.
- Four cheese mac and cheese with a wild radish salad. – If you are not on a calorie count or are having a cheat day, mac and cheese is the ideal side to match a scrumptious cut of brisket.
- Boiled egg, paprika potato salad with chives and finely chopped scallion. – Is there anything better than a hearty potato salad at the end of a long week? Nope. That is why it also makes the list of tasty sides that must be tried to accompany your brisket.
Mix It All Together
Are you planning a dinner party for a large number of guests? Then instead of choosing just one side from the list mentioned above, why not throw together a couple of them for your guests to pick what they would like to add to their plate in addition to a couple of slices of sweet tea infused smoked brisket.
Don’t forget the most important ingredient! That sweet tea sauce will work as a treat when laced over any of the above mentioned sides. That’s right, nothing is wasted when it comes to this recipe!